The Student News Site of Dulaney High School

Sequel Magazine

In Preparation

Sequel Staff

A purple, vibrantly colored octopus roams the sea in search of a rock; a rock that would be sufficient for 53 months of residency. Day after day of searching and rejecting rocks that would be deemed dangerous, the octopus becomes apprehensive and a sense of urgency falls upon her. After three days of seeking out this ideal spot, the octopus inches her way over to an oval and large rocky slope. She knows what must be done and without hesitation attaches petite, milky pearl-shaped eggs onto the rock and her countdown till death begins.

Curling her arms around the delicate pearls, the future mother stares intently through the dirty and empty water. Noticing sudden changes in current and slight movements in the water, she grasps the pearls tighter as if they were gold coins. A small crab approaches but the octopus merely brushes it away and continues concentrating on her surroundings. She no longer concerns herself with trivial factors, such as, eating or rest, rather she only thinks of one thing: protecting her eggs. Young schools of fish swim past her before exploring the new world before them. They return weeks later and the octopus has remained unmoved and motionless. A soft, white layer of bubbly film lies upon her head because of her inactivity and stagnation. An insignificant fish ventures over to the octopus and slowly nibbles at her head. A purple arm swiftly brushes the head and the bubbly film disappears.

Months pass and the octopus still lingers about the rocky slope. Malnutrition has caused her purple color to become achromatized and bleached and her body to lack strength. Additionally, dormancy has caused her mind to drain itself of any thoughts. It’s as if her mind has become completely void of everything except her maternal instincts. Her dark, black eyes beam blankly at the boring and all too familiar scene day after day. Her feeble arm transfers strength and life to the pearls for while they are slowly emerging, she is slowly dying.

Suddenly, there is movement beneath her emaciated arm, startling her to awareness. Translucent, tiny octopi appear before her and without saying farewell, float in different directions to an ocean full of opportunities. Having completed her purpose in life, the octopus sluggishly swims over to a ravenous dogfish shark and allows it to consume her frail body. Meanwhile, without knowing of the mother’s immense sacrifices, the octopi blissfully explore the ocean in search of his or her own purpose in life.

Sarah Foltz 17′ || Design Editor