The Student News Site of Dulaney High School

Sequel Magazine

Around the World in 180 Days

Sequel Staff

Have you ever traveled the entire world? Me neither. But, it would be exciting to one day picture that we do. And if we were to do so, we should know a few things about it―customs, language, clothing, food, etc. I’m here to take you on a trip around the world in 180 days, along with learning about all our Sequelites and their background.

trinidad-_-tobago-flag-std_1

Carribbean

Today we land in the collective islands of the Caribbean, specifically Tobago, named for the tobacco plant. Our fellow Sequelite, Arielle, a lit staffer, was born and raised there! This tropical island is located off the coast of Venezuela. Here’s what I learned in our interview.

What caught my eye was the clothing of the Tobagonian people. The traditional clothing of the Tobago people is similar to African garbs. Women traditionally wear a white shirt and long skirt with a color flannel headpiece that wraps around their head along with a colorful flannel cloth that wraps around their waist or shoulders. Men typically wore loose silk shirts with loose pants. On wedding days, the men wear big top hats and the women dressed in layered fluffy dresses of yellow or white. Absolutely beautiful!

Since Tobago has Indian influence, most of their food has some Indian roots to it, such as their inclusion of curry in almost all of their dishes. Along with curry being an essential to a Tobago dish, dumplings is another essential. Now not the Chinese dumplings we think of. These dumplings are thick and soft, almost like pita bread but made out of different ingredients. Arielle also mentioned how callaloo, made from the dasheen leaf, is an essential to a Tobago, or really any Caribbean dish. It’s basically spinach! Tobago people also eat a lot of seafood, since they’re surrounded by water! According to Arielle, her favorite Tobago foods are the chicken curry and dumplings.

The culture of Tobago is definitely unique, but exciting. Some fun customs they have are crab and goat races. Yep, I said it, crabs! The native people, even tourist, race crabs (although Arielle gave me some insight that they never really race because, well, they’re crabs). Another big part of the Tobago culture is their big celebration called Heritage. It’s a huge festival once a year celebrating African roots and the villages. There’s usually a big parade in which people dress in traditional garbs, sing, and dance. They even dress up the goats!

I hope you enjoyed our stop in Tobago, representing the Caribbean. See you next time!

Irene Angelos 17′ || Literary Staff