The Student News Site of Dulaney High School

Sequel Magazine

The Literature Zone

Sequel Staff

Whenever I can find the time, I am constantly reading. I love researching highly recommended novels and enjoying them over a hot cup of tea. Reading is so pleasurable to me because the changed mindset and inspiration I leave the novel with is so invaluable. Join me as I shed light onto what makes a great book great!

blog-image-5

For this entry, I wanted to write about one of my summer reads. I’ve always been obsessed with Stephen King’s novels, but I never found the time to actually finish one of this books. Written by Stephen King, The Shining is a chilling horror novel.

The Shining By: Stephen King

Plot: I think most people have seen the movie but not many have read the book. The Shining follows the Torrance family- Jack, Danny, and Wendy. Jack is a hard- working father and writer who is a recovering alcoholic after an incident with his son, Danny. Danny is a young boy who is mentally disturbed with visions and has an ever- present imaginary friend named, Tony. Wendy is a concerned and caring mother who stays at home and watches Danny.

One day, Jack gets a job to watch over the Overlook Hotel for a year. His whole family must stay with him at the Overlook. The previous caretaker murdered his entire family at the Overlook and now an eerie feel looms over the hotel. Despite this, Jack takes the job in hopes that he can write and spend more time with his family. The Overlook is in an isolated location and overcome by cabin fever, Jack slowly degrades.

Review: I absolutely loved this novel! Stephen King has an amazing knack for vivid and horror imagery. I never really did read horror novels before this but ever since then I’ve been obsessed. Stephen King’s novels have great plots and details. I absolutely recommend this novel for anyone that loves horror because this novel is truly nail-biting and chilling.
[rating=6]

Sarah Foltz 17′ || Design Editor